Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cafe Maji

Hi loves!
A couple weeks ago, I went to a Korean café that my friend recommended for me: Cafe Maji! It was my first time going there, so I was definitely confused when I arrived at a gym. Yes, a gym. But, because Yelp is so helpful, I found out that you have to go inside the gym, sign in on a clipboard pinned up against the wall, and walk up a flight of stairs. Once you're up the stairs, you'll see a huge room that's basically separated into three compartments: two dance studios and the café (this part was about the size of two and a half dance studios).
There were three parts to the café: one was the kitchen where they made the food, another was behind  a large "L" shaped bookshelf where there were several small tables set up, and the third was a more open sitting area with bigger tables for bigger parties of people (from what I could tell, the biggest was probably for six to eight people).

Now for the food!
The menu was absolutely adorable as you can see below.
I... definitely do not understand what's written on the cover, but if you guys can let me know, please comment below! 
Once you open the menu, there are a couple of pages with cute pictures and quotes (take the time to read them, as they really add to the charm of the little café). 
After the pictures and quotes, you'll finally see pictures of the food and drinks they offer. 


Above, you'll see just a few of the drinks they have. They have a great varieties of flavors for lattes, and even have non-coffee (a.k.a. non-caffeinated) lattes! If you flip the page, you'll also see a series of cold/chilled drinks for warmer weather or if you just prefer colder drinks to hot.


After the drinks come the food! Now, like many other cafés, Cafe Maji offers a series of sandwiches. But what's unique is that they also offer quesadillas; not just any quesadillas either! They have bulgogi quesadillas! If you don't know what bulgogi is, it's basically a type of korean beef that's soft and easy to chew.


And, after the main course, there's of course desserts! The signature desserts of Cafe Maji are basically waffles with whipped cream, different types of fruit, and syrup. There are different options on the menu for different combinations of fruit on the waffles.

Here is what I ordered below~


This is the taro, non-coffee latte. All of their drinks come with a delicious cream puff on the side. It's kind of like a sweet appetizer. As you can see, the latte art is just as adorable as it is in the menu. You may not get to choose what type of art you get, but it's so cute I don't think you'll mind ><!
There's a creamy, fluffy layer of cream before you actually get to the flavored drink. This part may not appeal to many people. However, I have to say that this drink is really great after the cream layer. Usually, the taro flavor in a lot of drinks is either overwhelmingly sweet or way too starchy. But this latte was a great balance. I would definitely recommend it if you guys are into taro.


Next came the bulgogi quesadillas. So, one down side is that it takes half an hour before they serve you your order. I'm not quite sure why it takes so long (as there weren't that many guests when I was there), so if you're a bit impatient, I would suggest maybe bringing homework or a book to read to occupy your mind for a bit. But the food definitely made up for the time waited. The bulgogi was very soft and easy to chew and actually tasted really good with the classic quesadilla cheese. I have to say that there was definitely a little too much cheese for me, so I could barely finish two (I was more than glad that my mom decided to share with me). If you have a small appetite, bring someone to share with you :)


Now for the finale of the meal! I ordered a waffle with strawberries and blueberries (I'm allergic to bananas, but if you're not, I suggest trying it out :) it looked really yummy in the menu!). The waffle looks kind of small, but trust me, after the quesadilla, you'll barely be able to finish it (and again, I shared)! 
The fruit was very sweet, though obviously sour once you had a taste of the syrup and the waffle. The cream was a bit excessive, but you can always scrape it off to the side. The waffle, to my expectations, became a bit soggy after a while because the plate is hot and the cream melts. All in all, I was a bit disappointed with the waffle, but the rest of the meal was absolutely great!

If I'm in the mood for a twist on café food, I'll make sure to stop by again! I wouldn't recommend visiting too often as you might get tired of always having the same type of food, but definitely check it out, and if you like it, come maybe once or twice a month for a treat!

Here's the address for you guys:
56 E Duarte Road, 2nd Floor, Arcadia, California 91006

Thanks for reading my first food post! Talk to you guys next time :)
~Cherry


2 comments:

  1. That Taro latte looks incredible. I don't like the fluff part but the drink looks amazing. Also, the cover of the Menu is something along the lines of, "Remember This Sweet Place" or "Memory Of A Sweet Place"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than the fluff, it was great :D! Oh and thanks so much ^^ That's such a cute menu name :o (sorry for the late reply T.T).

      Delete