Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lunafly - "특별한 남자 (Special Guy)" Review

Hi, my loves! This time, we have a review on Lunafly's new song for you all!! I, Cherry, and Krispy will be writing this review for you guys.

So, let's just jump right into it!


The Music/Instrumentals
Cherry: The music is definitely a twist on Lunafly's usual acoustic feel. They strayed a bit from the acoustic genre in their "Fly to Love" album, but even more so in this song. Although it's different, I absolutely love it! They added their own unique touch to the electric music, with some cool beats courtesy of Teo, and some sweet guitar playing from Sam and Yun! The trio didn't disappoint me in the slightest and showed off their ability to mold into different genres instrumentally.
Krispy: I found the feel of this album to be a bit of a breakthrough for Lunafly, to the more mainstream flow of Korean music. They've always done different things, and this album was a bit of a new feel for them. I have the instrumentals, and I like the beats in the background. It did take a little bit to get used to, but it grows on you. 

The Vocals/Rapping
Cherry: The first thing that stood out to me: Yun's falsetto! I was initially really shocked and didn't like it upon my first listen to the song. But after another try at the song, I found that his falsetto suited the unique music. It gives the song a different feel compared to Lunafly's other songs, and gives it an overall funky, cool mood. I also have to applaud Yun, because singing a pleasant falsetto is very difficult, especially for guys who tend to have a lower voice. Other than the falsetto, the three of them sang as they normally would, and Teo even added in a bit of rapping. Their vocals complimented each other and carried out the song rather well. They were also able to showcase their diversity and flexibility in taking on various genres. Sam's unique vocals, Teo's deeper voice, and Yun's smooth singing (falsetto aside) are literally an all-kill for me. (One of my favorite parts is that section with Sam and Yun singing before Miryo's rap.)
Krispy: Always fantastic vocals from these boys. I've always had a thing for vocals, and they never disappoint me. Yun's high notes and falsetto struck me first, and it was kind of new and I liked it! Teo did not have many parts (as usual, honestly), but Sam and Yun are always showing their stunning voices. Teo's rapping was cool, but they are definitely new rappers, so I'm looking forward to a bit of improvement. 

The Lyrics
Cherry: "Welcome to the Lunafly Show." ... Hahaha. Oh gosh, I laughed so hard at first, I had to replay that part to see if I heard it correctly. It was really cute and kind of awkward, but charming at the same time. Now, because I don't understand Korean, I'll be referring to rough translations of the lyrics. In a brief summary, this song is about how a guy likes a girl, yet she's hesitant to get close to him as he wasn't her ideal. He's telling her that he's definitely a "special guy" (hence the name)with charming qualities, and is trying to convince her that if she gets to know him, she'll like him. At the end of the song, he convinces her and they're both "special." That was probably the worst summary ever, but translations are never quite what they should be... haha... ha... Anyway, I didn't really like the lyrics based off of the translation I read because it seemed like a cliché storyline, overused and boring. They flowed very well with the music, but the actual content wasn't all too compelling. It was just another song about unrequited love that becomes requited. Have to say that the lyrics disappointed me a bit compared to Lunafly's previous songs, but I'll just have to wait until I hear the English version to see if it changes my opinion ^^.
Krispy: Same with Cherry^ "Welcome to the Lunafly Show" cracked me up. It was so funny and honestly, very cheesy. They are so awkward and dorky; I just can't see them being.. what is it... "swaggy." All the lyrics and the club scene theme were pretty new. Again, moving into mainstream type music, it was very out of their box, and I found the lyrics pretty generic, honestly. And "Special Guy" is kind of a strange title in my opinion. 

Miryo's Feature
Cherry: I love Miryo, and I really look up to her and the Brown Eyed Girls. Her rapping is very nice to listen to, and suits the Brown Eyed Girls' songs. But in "Special Guy," her voice was completely out of place. The boys had very strong, powerful vocals, and although she has a strong voice, she took on a softer tone. The energy of her rap didn't match up to the rest of the song. Her rap was a bit choppy, as opposed to the smoother flow of the rest of the song. Her lyrics, however, were beautiful and conveyed her ideas very well... except for that last line. "I want a naughty boy, I know you dirty." It is a bit grammatically incorrect, but I'll ignore that part for the meantime. The rest of her rap had a very sweet and romantic tone, i.e.: "making my frozen heart beat again." But that last line totally took a 180 degree turn. I have no idea what compelled her to insert that line right there, but I think she should left it out. Not only does it not relate to her rap, but it just doesn't relate to the entirety of the song either. For Miryo's feature, I did like her lyrics (excluding that last line), but I feel as if they should've had another rapper instead, someone who's voice matched the rest of the song.
Krispy: I, on the other hand, have no prior opinions on BEG, so I was exposed to a completely new face and voice, both of which I was bewildered by. Yes, I am a bit of a critic, seeing how she was... unnecessary. Bit of a publicity stunt, maybe? Maybe it wasn't, we may never know. But she was not exactly a great addition to the song in my opinion. Have respect for her and what she does, and she has undeniable talent, but I can't say she added much to the song. 

Other
Cherry: As someone who doesn't understand Korean, I absolutely love the song. Listening to it without paying much attention to the lyrics allows me to enjoy Lunafly's vocals and instrumentals. Although Miryo didn't suit the song that well, I think it was a good effort on her part, and I love the sunbae - hoobae relationship she has with Lunafly! I feel as if it might've been one of the company's marketing tactics to put her into the song, though; maybe it was to help Lunafly gain a bit more fame because of the Brown Eyed Girls' fame, but that's just a random theory of mine. Based on my perspective and opinions, out of ten, I would give this song an 8 ^-^! I recommend listening to it and giving Lunafly a shot if you haven't listened to their other songs yet.
Krispy: I enjoyed the song, but it definitely wasn't my style. I am not the type to enjoy club-type music, and even when I broaden my horizon, so to speak, I can't say this song is my favorite. I thought it was a great way for Lunafly to get out there a bit with their style, but listening to their previous albums is more suited for me. I congratulate them for finally having a comeback! 




That's about it for our review on Lunafly's "특별한 남자 (Special Guy)"! Hope you guys liked this joint review ^^. If you have any questions, or other opinions about their song that weren't covered in this post, you can comment right below this post. Thanks so much for reading, and we'll see you all soon!
~Cherry and Krispy

P.S: Hey guys, it's Krispy here. 
I feel bad about not posting. Lately, stuff has just been jumbled and I've been dealing with things that I can't share here. I procrastinated and ignored this blog and all of you viewers. I am truly sorry. 
Thank you all for still reading the blog, and if you care to do so, follow/subscribe to us on here or on Instagram, and we'd be happy to share with all of you what we do and what we love. Thanks for sticking around, you beautiful people. <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment